Government House (Duke and George Streets, Nassau, New Providence Island) — Government House located on a ten (10) acre estate, stands on Mount Fitzwilliam and is the official residence of the Governor General of the Bahamas. It dates back to 1801 and this imposing pink and white building on Duke Street is an excellent example of the mingling of Bahamian-British and American Colonial architecture. The graceful columns and broad, circular driveway recall the styles of Virginia and the Carolinas. In front of the building is the statue of Christopher Columbus. This statue was imported from London in 1830, by Governor James Carmichael Smythe in honor of Columbus’ Landfall at San Salvador in 1492.